• The elephant is sati. Always remembers what he needs to do, never forgets.
• The rider/mahout is the wise gate keeper from AN 7.67
🏰, the frontier fortress.
• elephant & rider = S&S🐘💭
= sati & sampajāno = remembering & lucid-discerning
• Together, they are resilient (khamo), can patiently endure any kind of horrifying trauma.
: “And how is a king’s elephant resilient to ...fearful sights... horrible smells ... terrifying sounds ... physical pain ...? ... having gone into battle, he is pierced by a flight of arrows, two flights, three flights, four flights, five flights of arrows, but he doesn’t falter or faint, he steels himself and engages in the battle...
• That resilience (khamo) is the defining
characteristic of samādhi. Not "stillness". Pacification and serenity are important nutriments
of samādhi, but they are not equivalent to it.
• There are many 'samādhi suttas' in the EBT, but only one sutta titled "sammā samādhi" AN 5.113
. Its central focus is Khamo/resilience, not "stillness".
• Samādhi is not a trance, not a state where you can't think, can not act, and not form an intention.
• Samādhi is dynamic. It can appear quiescent, but it's poised and alert, not in a frozen trance. When you're in samādhi, you may appear very still, but you ready
• Ready, on a moment's notice, to fight the āsavās and break through to nirvana.
• Samādhi is the pinnacle 🌄 of lucidity, of mental power. AN 5.113
: “possesssing five-of-these qualities,
(a) monk [is] capable (of) dwelling in righteous-undistractable-lucidity,
Which five? (a) monk is resilient to forms, sounds, odors, tastes, and tactile-objects,
What is Samādhi?
: broad umbrella term, many nuances |
4j = 4sp
STED Sammā Samādhi from Pāli and Agamas, and sanskrit
⛔Wrong samādhi, wrong Jhāna
similes for Sammā Samādhi (especially 4 jhānas)
4j🌕: 4 jhānas ⊜ equivalent factors
= 4 jhānas 🌕
j1🌘 paṭhamaṃ jhānaṃ
= First Jhāna
j2🌗 dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ
= Second Jhāna
j3🌖 tatiyaṃ jhānaṃ
= Third Jhāna
j4🌕 catutthaṃ jhānaṃ
= Fourth Jhāna
= samādhi-sam-bojjh-aṅga, undistractible-lucidity-awakening-factor
= sammā-samādhi, right undistractible-lucidity
4j🌕: 4 jhānas central repository
Most of the information on 4 jhānas
will be collected in
= sammā-samādhi, right undistractible-lucidity. The equivalent 4j factor pages will focus on how they differ from sammā-samādhi